Driving on the left side

I've never driven on the left side of the road before, in
England I've taken taxis, buses and subways, but I declined
to drive a car when it was offered because riding on the left
side of the road was scary enough. Here in Barbados, I really
have no choice, if I'm going to make it to work I have to drive,
and I did so for the first time on Monday. Scared shitless at
first, narrow roads with high cane on both sides. When cars
approach in the other direction, it is difficult to judge; should
I go into the cane or keep going. The wap wap wap of the cane
hitting the passenger mirror told me I'm too close to the edge.

Pedestrians are everywhere, and the dark skin/dark clothes
of the locals fade to invisibility when the sun goes down. My
wife was shouting "humano!" when my headlights would light
upon someone, and we'd swerve around them. I was glad
we made it make to the hotel without dying or killing anyone.

Oh well, I should be used to this before I leave here...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Buddy,
barbados seems to agree with you. You seem quite relaxed. I take it you got to take your wife?
bob
Joe said…
Yeah bob, I brought my wife for the 1st week, she had to go home for work.

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again