Pesky Alligator

I saw a fantastic band earlier this week, a band called
Pesky Alligator, which I really did't expect to see
here in Newark. Just two players, a girl who can do
a perfect janis joplin, and a guitar player who can
play acoustic or base guitar.

One of those moments of serendipity, where I thought
i was heading back to the hotel, instead I ran into the
new student that joined my class this week.
He'd just arrived from canada and hadn't eaten, so we went
to the Navigator, a pub across the street from this hotel.
And this great girl was there in front of me getting a beer.
She was in a red miniskirt with knee high black boots.

I thought. Wow. And when she walked up to the bandstand
and started setting up her drum set, I thought double wow.
With just a drum and guitar and vocals, they were the best
live act I've seen this year.

I knew I was in a really foreign country when they played
"in constant sorrow" from "o brother where art thou", it
was fantastic, so I let slip a "yee haa!" which seemed to
be met by soft laughter.

Tuesday night I went with the students to see one of the
waitresses in the hotel's pub perform at a bar called the
Atrium. They were pretty good, but not up to pesky alligator
standards. The opening band for them was a bunch of high
school students playing heavy metal. Not bad, but I got
a bunch of strange looks when I yelled out "Freebird" as
they were tuning up. I thought it was funny.

Only a couple more days here in Lincolnshire and I can go
home. Yee haw!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again