New Pope

Jane Galt is posting about the choice of the pope
I'm pretty sure that we're going to see a lot of articles bemoaning the choice of Ratzinger (who is very conservative) and claiming that the Catholic Church is going to implode without ordination of married and female clergy, relaxed standards on birth control and divorce, and so forth. I don't think I buy this. Protestant denominations like the Anglican Communion have been liberalising like mad, and with each decline in membership, they decide that what they need is to liberalise some more

I think she's right about liberalization not helping church membership. I was just in the UK, and the town I was staying in had several churches that were closed and were operating as furniture stores. The cathedral I went into looked huge but only had seating for a few dozen, the rest was a gift shop. The joke on the television was that a bishop was so liberal that he didn't believe in
God. (I guess that was dry english humor)

I'm just a lapsed catholic so I don't have a dog in this fight...but I think that if someone wants to be a monopoly player, then they should play by the printed rules of monopoly, if they don't want to play by those rules they should choose some other game to play. Like atheistopoly.
(sorry to stretch a metaphor)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again