Lileks made a funny

I used to read the NYtimes every morning, then flit over
to CNN or maybe the local paper to see what was happening
in the world. Now, after being steadily disgusted with
various newspapers and tvnews, my only remaining morning
ritual reads are James Lileks and Dilbert. (ok, so I'm not
well informed, shoot me.)

Today, Lileks' had the funniest morning bleat I've seen in
a while. He always seems to capture small activities with the
perfect verbage, today, he was really spot on when he bumbed
into a childhood cartoon memory, I mean we're in Proust's
cookie territory:

The memory had been sitting in a combination of chemicals and sparky-juice somewhere in my head, and it reactivated with surprising force. It wasn’t so much the recognition of the picture as the feeling of familiarity, as if I’d just read the book the other day. The sensation collapses on itself almost immediately, and you can feel the present rush in, almost as if it’s too dangerous to keep this up. You’ll get all confused. In fact, now that I see it again and again, it has lost all effect. Crack that ampule and the scent evaporates for good.

He also seems to be tivo'ing a lot of the stuff that I'm watching on the dvr, like,
air force one with Harrison ford. I watched that over the weekend and I was
struck by the way the 90's looked, always wanting a tough, youngish president who
could fly a plane (AFO, indpendence day) or one who isn't a sleaseball with a bitch
wife (american president, Dave)

Lileks makes this point much better today, with this quote from
Harrison ford's character:

Peace isn't merely the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice. Never again will I allow our political self-interest to deter us from doing what we know to be morally right. Atrocity and terror are not political weapons. And to those who would use them, your day is over. We will never negotiate. We will no longer tolerate and we will no longer be afraid. It's your turn to be afraid.


He is also quite physically fit AND he can fly a plane. This was the sort of person Hollywood wanted for President in 1997. Then they get one, and they completely wigged out. Ah well.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again