Drunken public speaking

We're down here in Colombia, living in a hotel until we can find an
apartment. Living in a hotel always sounds so cool, like being a rich
writer living in a hotel in New York, where the doorman tips his hat
before going up to your four room suite. But living in an actual hotel
room sucks pretty bad, especially when the bed here is nothing like
my memory-foam mattress. (E.T. Voice on/ home, oooouuuch, E.T.
Voice off/)

Work progresses, I've tried not to screw up too many things my first
week, but since the whole job has been 100% in spanish, I think most
people here think I'm a babbling idiot. At the farewell dinner for the guy
I'm replacing I had to stand up and say a few words...unfortunately, with
the altitude my alchohol tolerance is zero here, after two beers and two
glasses of wine over two hours I was halfway to Dean-Martinized. I stood
up, said something in bad spanish and sat down again.

I sat down and immediately panicked and asked my wife, "what did I just say?"
Since no butterknives came sailing back across the table and I wasn't immediately
runoft, I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought, but no more beer in public here.

Comments

Sharon said…
I'd love to know what it was you really said. :)

That you can speak Spanish at all is very cool. I can only count.
Anonymous said…
Public speaking while inebriated is alway fun, and interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again