Minutemen, I think not.

My wife and I were just discussing American history. She is trying to get her american citizenship, and to do so she has to pass a test on history and culture. The sample questions are pretty simple, eg, who is George Washington, and when was the declaration of independance signed? Just naming people and dates as history is difficult for me, so instead I launched into a summarized american history, from the declaration of independance to 1800.

The unfortunate metaphor I chose for the colonies defeating Imperial Britain was, what it would be like if the insurgents in Iraq were to defeat the U.S. . Even though it brings bile to my throat to think of it, it might be a similar scale defeat (neglecting the french helping the insurgents in both wars).

But then I spoke about the declaration of independance. Who signed it and why. What the last line says: "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor" . I tried to make the point to my wife that the pledge these men made was serious. They understood the consequences of losing. They would be hung as traitors at least, maybe even drawn and quartered as well. (remember Braveheart?)

That was the glaring problem with my original metaphor; Iraqi insurgents compared with our founding fathers. Iraqi insurgents don't sign published documents. They aren't wealthy landowners with much to lose, they are murderers, criminals and thugs who wear masks in public to protect their most prized possession, their identity. So the next time some fat bastard calls them minutemen, I hope someone straightens him out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again