Our friends the Saudis

Hindrocket at Powerline points out the drop in oil prices since the election. In the news media this drop is reported as due to an incremental increase in production has built up reserves in the US, coupled with a warmer than expected winter. Bullshit. Powerline has it right, someone was monkeying with the markets to help defeat George Bush.

In my business, when it isn't possible to measure exactly what is happening, it is possible to infer a model of what is happening from the evidence you do have. When you make a prediction based on this inference, and the prediction comes true, then you can get a warm fuzzy feeling about your model of reality and continue to make predictons based your model until something proves you wrong. The rise in oil prices leading up to the election was predicted in March at The American Thinker.
The Saudi War on George Bush - March 10th, 2004
Saudi Arabia has launched an undeclared war on George W. Bush. This simple fact must be understood by policy and strategy elites, the press, and the general electorate. Otherwise, the Saudis may well succeed in their tacit campaign to sabotage the long term success of America’s war on terror, by engineering the electoral defeat of George W. Bush in November....


The rise happened and now is dropping away post-election as the people driving the price increase go back to normal operations (produce as much oil and revenue today, a little less money today is worth more than the hope of more money tomorrow). So until evidence of someone else manipulating the market appears, to me the Saudis are the prime suspects

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Joe, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Our friends the Saudis. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a plush breyer related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my plush breyer related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link plush breyer. Thank you and I wish you well .

Popular posts from this blog

The other side of Porkbusters, the people who need pork

Haditha slant in the press

Offshore blogging again